Thursday, August 25, 2005

Roughing It

The office closed today at noon so that we could all come home and prepare for this (hurricane) little fun aspect of living in South Florida. Hubby is still at work, but he came home for lunch and put hurricane shutters on our bedroom windows (his way of protecting me like a manly-man). Yep. It's windy and rainy outside right now, but honestly? I'm not freaked out at all. Not even concerned. After last year's three hurricanes hitting in the same month, this little Katrina is no big deal. Sure we'll probably lose power for a bit. Sure we'll have to eat off the grill and put all of the contents of our fridge in our cooler. Sure I'll be sweating my tush off and will get really bitchy. Sure it'll suck. No big deal.

What have I been doing since I got home? You might think I should be filling the bathtub with water and a pinch of bleach. Stocking the freezer with water for ice. Replacing the batteries in all of our flashlights. Nope. I've been watching TV. Charging the battery on my laptop. Scrapbooking. Eating rice krispy treats. Watching the trees blowing. What does my husband want me to be doing? Clean up all the stinkin' dishes in the kitchen. Run some laundry while we still have power. Pick up all the scrapbooking junk I've strewn everywhere. Nope. I'll probably rush to get these things at least started by the time he gets home. Hello? It's a pending storm! I'm enjoying myself while I can! Can you blame me?

So say a little prayer for our safety here in Palm Beach County. The storm is about 30 miles off our coast and the winds caould get up to 80 mph or so. But mostly it's the rain... because the storm is moving so slowly, it'll dump a ton of rain. They think about 20 inches in our area. Also pray for my hair. It does not do well in the humidity. I hate hurricane season.

No comments: